There are a number of great tools for creating screencasts. Here are some I recommend:
- Jing (Free – but only records up to 5 minutes)
- Snagit (The next step up from Jing)
- Camtasia (Jing and Snagit’s big brother – goes well beyond screencasting)
- Adobe Captivate (Specifically geared toward e-learning)
- Screenflow (A great choice for Mac users – my personal favorite)
Because a screen recording is simply another type of video, you can use the same hosting options found on the video tools page. TechSmith – maker of Jing, Snagit, and Camtasia – does also offer a hosting service called Screencast.com specifically for screencasts.
The links on this page go along with The Learning Revolutionary’s Toolbox, a free eBook.
If you have questions, or want to share your own experiences with any of these tools, please comment below.